Quinta do Vallado

Quinta do Vallado, established in 1716, is one of the oldest and most famous “Quintas” in the Douro Valley. It once belonged to the legendary Dona Antónia Adelaide Ferreira, and still belongs to her descendants. It lies on both banks of the Corgo River, a tributary of the Douro river, near its mouth, close to the town of Peso da Régua.

For almost 200 years, Quinta do Vallado´s main activity was the production of Porto wines, that were commercialized by the Ferreira Port House – another brand carried by Dhall & Nash.

The modern Quinta do Vallado was essentially established in 1993, although it’s history extends back much more significantly. Moving from the centuries-old tradition of selling the farm´s production to the Ferreira House, under the direction of Guilherme Álvares Ribeiro and his wife, Maria Antónia Ferreira, the company decided to extend the business towards the production, bottling and marketing of own-label wines.

Also in 1993 under the guidance of Prof. Nuno Magalhães, a deep restructuring of the vineyards was started, with the goal of increasing the production of high quality grape varieties. These new vineyards were planted with the best varieties in single plots, breaking with the old tradition of planting many different varieties in the same vineyard.

The homogenization of treatment, ripening and picking times resulted in dramatic improvements to all harvesting and vinification processes, and translated into a much more regular, easy to control and economically efficient quality production. The 70 ha of vineyards are mostly planted on South and West facing slopes of slate soil, excellent for optimum ripening of the grapes, taking advantage of the Mediterranean climate.

Two thirds of the vineyards are planted in terraces with a single row of vines, pruned according to the double cordon system. The old vines follow the ground lines and are planted in continuous rows distanced 1.2 m, with 1m between each plant.

Visit Quinta do Vallado’s Site